Wednesday 24 November 2021

SUNRISE ON THE GOWER

 

When I booked in to attend a retreat at Nicholaston House, part of the blessing of this special occasion was to have a room overlooking Oxwich Bay and seeing away on to the hills of Devon.

The first morning I woke, as usual, while it was still dark so I drew back my curtains and lay there in happy expectation of sunrise. However, this wonderful view was not enough. The next time I got out of bed I opened the curtain of one of the side windows. This one was facing East rather than South. Imagine my surprise to find the sun had risen and was already flooding the sky with streaks of glory.

Photo by OC Gonzalez on Unsplash
The next morning I knew where to look and had a very special blessing as I actually saw the first peep of the sun rising above the roof of the Celtic chapel which is nestling beside the house. If I had lain on in bed I would not have seen it, for by the time the sun
had fully arisen a mist was covering the bay.

This week was very special for me, meeting some old friends and making many new ones. The retreat was titled ‘Grace-Space.’ A small and close group of us, in spite of Covid and the necessity to still  wear masks, we shared in lovely times of devotion, where we were meditating and looking afresh at some of the old familiar stories of Jesus; opening our hearts too to the transformation of our lives.

But I think the greatest blessing I brought back from this retreat was that God wants us to be a people who are watching for the sunrise – ‘Looking for and hastening unto the coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.’ He has promised us that he will come again. When he does, every darkness will be banished and our world will be flooded with the light of life. But let’s make sure we are looking in the right direction.

Even so come, Lord Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Margaret read these two blogs to me. An hour earlier she had been reading Elizabeth Elliott. (One of our favourite Authors). As she read it felt like a continuation of our devotional meditation. Thank you. Inspiriting. Ken and Margaret Meehan NZ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pauline it was so beautiful reminding us to continue to look up for our redemption is nearer than when we first believed. Sooo true as we consider the events happening around us. God bless Val

    ReplyDelete