Monday 27 June 2022

Mephibosheth

 If you were to choose a Bible story to illustrate the Gospel to someone brought up a devout worshipper in our local Golden Temple, I doubt if you would have chosen the story of Mephibosheth, yet I had a strong urge that God wanted me to somehow share the blessing I had received from the sermon we had heard.

But how could I? When I tried to repeat this wonderful story I was struggling even to pronounce the name of this young prince who, as grandson of King Saul, instead of being heir apparent was suddenly the enemy of the throne.

The more I wrestled with such a task the more impossible it seemed. It was not until my heart  was stirred in love for this lovely, devout and gifted Indian lady who was one of the team of carers who was one of the team who are now assigned to care for me that I realised the necessity of Jesus’ words, ‘No man comes to the Father, but by Me.’

Doesn’t the angel declare?

‘Call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.’

Here in this little known story of this unfortunate prince, rescued by the grace of God through David was the poem God wanted me to write.

  

MEPHIBOSHETH

Mephibosheth! Mephibosheth! You’re summonsed by the king.

Now grandson of his enemy, how dare he enter in?

No pride in his father’s loyalty, but banished, crippled, shamed!

Photo by Zane Persaud on Unsplash
Prostrate he lies at David’s feet – for mercy has no claim

But David, great in majesty, is great in mercy too,

‘Come! There’s room here at my table and in my heart a place for you.

For your father was my truest friend and our love was pledged for ever

Even as we rest in God’s great love, know naught from him can sever.

Not our desserts but Christ’s sacrifice has bound us safely to him

So rise with joy to join the throng who’ll worship God for ever.

                                                            Pauline Lewis+-

 

No comments:

Post a Comment