Friday 17 September 2021

DELIVERANCE FROM FEAR

 Our visiting preacher immediately had our attention as he challenged us concerning some of our fears and yes, phobias.

Spiders? Yes. Heights? Big yes, for me, but for a special reason. These had once been  major fears in my life, but wonderfully God has delivered me.

Photo by Torsten Dederichs on Unsplash
Simon continued with his message concerning the disciples, seasoned fishermen, yet caught in a terrible storm on the Sea of Galilee. Yes, the storm was terrible, but when they saw Jesus coming toward them, walking on the water, they experienced an even greater terror.

But yes, it was not a ghost, but Jesus, their Jesus. Convinced, how gladly they welcomed him into the boat. Now fears were all allayed. Not only now was the fury of the storm abated, but  they had actually arrived at their destination.

An end to their fears? We would think so, but no. Instead they were overcome with a greater fear, an awe, a reverence, for they realised that they were not just in the presence of a godly man, but of God himself, the one who is the creator and sustainer of the universe, and yet one who they now knew as their friend, sharing their lives and their circumstances.

Their fears had been very real, but they had been conquered by a greater fear, the fear of the Lord which, we are told, is the beginning of wisdom.

I looked back to my deliverances, the fears from which, little by little I had been delivered.

I remember clearly. I was in our prayer meeting, and that weekend I was due to fly out to New Guinea where doubtless there would be spiders and mountains and vine bridges, and all those conditions I had been so sure God would not have expected me to face, and now he had, as well as going alone, leaving everyone I knew and loved.

Photo by Tom Fejér on Unsplash
‘Oh, Lord,’ I whispered, ‘I won’t be able to do it.’

Then God gave me an ultimatum. ‘I am going. You can come with me or you can leave
me.’

To lose my relationship with Jesus? That would be my greatest fear of all. When I got to the airport gates I knew Jesus was going before me, and when I reached that forgotten land he was always there so that, little by little my fears were overcome.

Today we have brothers and sisters facing terrible persecution and in fear of their lives. We pray that they may experience that far greater fear, the awesome presence of the great I Am, the God of might and miracles and who  is our Peace.

 

THE FEAR OF THE LORD (based on Simon’s ministry John 6: 16-21)

No, not a God afar are you

But one who is always near,

A God who’s aware of our deepest needs

As well as each childish fear

And you want us to find you in life’s fiercest storms

-to know you, not just alongside

But entering into each circumstance

As the God who is come to abide.

Jesus, our Saviour and our Lord

Great I AM, God of glory and grace

Only you be our fear. Let us know you are near

As we live in the light of your face.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment