Monday 2 August 2021

THE CHILDREN GOD HAS GIVEN US

 

I felt I had to share this picture of myself, being loaded with blessings from one of our local schools where I have been teaching ‘Bible’ for so many years, because so many of you have shared in my schools ministry; first of all in praying that the schools might be open to us.( We had  thought this prayer was answered so that a young man just returned from Bible College might go in, but no. By the time a positive answer was given he had moved on.) It had not dawned on me that God might expect me to be the answer our prayers.

Meanwhile God had called me to write. It was my books that became the key to open the door for me to be welcomed in our local primary schools. This led on to taking assemblies. I became a regular feature, but how I needed the support of our praying women sisters who supported me to the hilt.

It wasn’t easy to face a hall full of children, but when sometimes my courage would fail, God would remind me, as he had when I was leaving for the ends of the earth, ‘I am going. You can come with me, or you can leave me.’ When the children were all responding, drinking in the word, I knew without doubt that it was Jesus who was reaching out to them through me.

Then came Bible Explorer. I had read about it and felt it was something I could do, but it was not until my beloved Joel had died that I was free to undertake the training. Now, more than ever I needed my sisters to be praying for me. 

And pray they did, and have given support in many ways over the years. I never forget one sister who was on her knees praying for me for the whole hour of my very first BX lesson.

Another prayed that God would let me see some fruit from this teaching. Would I ever know? But one of the teachers had asked her children to write about what it had meant to them, and I was able to read of several beautiful responses.

On rare occasions I would return home discouraged, feeling I have not done as well as I should or that the children were not responsive, but then I would remind the Lord that he had promised me joy and peace, and without his joy I could not continue. Invariably the next lesson, or assembly would be what I described as a ‘star-dust’ one. I would tell the children, ‘I think the angels must have sprinkled some star dust, for you are so good today.’

I have one precious memory.  A small boy had asked to help me to the car with my loads. It was a very hot afternoon and he in particular had not seemed responsive but now he told me, ‘I love it when you come.’ He repeated it, ‘I love it when you come.’  I knew that small, difficult, lovable little boy had felt the touch of Jesus. That is what it is all about.

But now I won’t be continuing in the schools. Retirement shouldn’t be part of a Christian’s vocabulary, should it? Having reached the great age of ninety, my mobility and energy has been decreasing and I feel through the Covid Lockdown that God himself has come and gently closed this door for me,  so that now I am able to give myself to full time writing, and of course to praying.

I hope you will feel included in this lovely ‘thank you’ that I have received and will continue to pray with me and for the children of this generation; ‘The children that God has given me/us.’

 

No comments:

Post a Comment