Monday 18 January 2021

19TH January 2021 – A BIG BIRTHDAY

Yes, I know Moses was still leading a nation at ninety, and some have lived even to a hundred and twenty, but still to be living and active and enjoying  life at ninety years is something worth celebrating.

I would have loved to have shared a celebratory meal with you, to give thanks to him who has lead us thus far, but since we are under lockdown, I hope you will enjoy yet another of my poems; - yes,

 

NINETY – AND STILL CLIMBING

 

Once a toddler – tottering, stumbling

Hesitant, yet made for running.

Photo by Patrick Mueller on Unsplash
No more wondering, - now seeking, going

On, in all unknowing

For the mountains you are made

 

Ever stumbling, sometimes falling

Yet still rising and aspiring

Stepping out – yes, made for climbing -

Foothills now, yet ever rising

For the mountains I am made.

 

Now at last the Way I’m finding

Leading onward, ever climbing

Knowing I can not say ‘Nay,’

For my Guide is onward leading.

Will I love him, trust him, heed him?

Dare to follow in his Way?

 

As the path is growing steeper

So his love seems ever deeper.

Reaching upward, I obey.

One more step, and ever onward

Still one next step and onward, forward

To reach eternal hills, eternal day.

 

New day, new hope, new strength, still forward

Till now in the eternal hills we’ll stay.

 No more big O’s but life eternal

Eternal joy! Eternal day!

 

 

 

If you had known me as a child you would not have expected me at this age to be writing about mountains. I was not an adventurer. When an uncle lifted me up to sit on his shoulders it seemed to be an impossible height. I was terrified and screamed to be put down.

Some people see mountains as a challenge to climb them. But others are convinced  they have nothing to do with them.  I was definitely of the latter.

 

A school mate once told me I was a stick in the mud. She was right. No doubt about it. That was, until Jesus came knocking on the door of my heart. How thankful I am that he gave me courage to open to him. I learned the simplicity of following Jesus, choosing him or denying him.

But who would have thought that nervous little Pauline would one day go as a missionary?

 

When I said yes to God’s call, I  presumed that he knew I couldn’t go anywhere where there were mountains -  or log bridges, - also that a husband would be included. But in my early thirties, still single, there I was in the remote Highlands of New Guinea.

 

But it was there that it does not take great courage to climb mountains, just a willingness to take the next step, and to trust in the one who has promised never to leave us.

Today, many years later, I am still climbing mountains; no, not now the physical ones as there, but the  lessons I learned while overcoming  my fear of mountains  has given me courage to continue to climb mountains spiritually.

 

 

Yes, I have made it to ninety. Looking back, I thank God for all the way he has led me. Looking on, I know I do not need to fear death for he has promised me everlasting life. Meanwhile I accept every day God gives me as his very special gift. Ninety and  still climbing.

 

 

 

Photo by Nick Stephenson on Unsplash

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment