Wednesday 12 September 2018

THE UPPER ROOM


I wonder what comes to our minds when we mention ‘the Upper Room’? There is a story in the Old Testament about an upper room that a woman had built onto her house where the prophet might stay. It was there that she took the dead body of her beloved child, and her faith was honoured. But probably most of us think of the Upper Room as the place where the disciples were sent to prepare for Jesus, so that he might gather with his disciples to eat that special Passover meal before he, as God’s Passover Lamb, was slain for us. And was this the very same room where the disciples who had gathered around our Lord in Galilee and who, having seen him ascend into heaven, had now gathered together at Jesus’ command to wait for the promise of the Father?
We don’t know whether it was the same upper room or not, but I do know that when I inherited my husband’s upstairs room which had been his study, commanding a view over the rooftops to the hills in the distance, it became to me a very special place.
But when eventually I had to leave our well-loved family home and knew God had led me to this my top floor apartment which immediately became my ‘Eagle’s Nest’ I knew that this was to be for me a place where I would know God’s presence and blessing in a very special way.
But there is another ‘Upper Room’ which is also a special blessing in my life and which I would like to share with you.
I don’t remember how long ago it was, and who it was who introduced me to this blessing, but some
dear friend had placed this small booklet of daily devotional reading, ‘the Upper Room’ into my hands.
When I was first married, the church we attended all began our days with ‘Every Day with Jesus,’ but, after I was widowed, ‘Daily Bread’, ‘Daily Light’ and especially ‘The Upper Room’ became part of my pre-breakfast diet. The Upper Room is particularly special in my life, because those who contribute are not necessarily well known writers but people who bring us thoughts out of every day experiences and who come from far flung places all over the world.
It has become a special blessing in my life not just because of the messages that it brings but because it also welcomes new writers. Called by God to write, it has been a joy to write of special happenings – God incidents, from my own life.
Having received my next issue, I began to thumb through, to see if maybe there might be one of my contributions, but then I closed it, telling myself there was no way I would be there if I had not been informed. But, just a few days later I turned the page to read this my story of the lonely lamb who had somehow wandered away from the flock. As our bus drove on we had been so comforted to catch a glimpse of the shepherd in the distance, a new born lamb already on his shoulder, aware of the need of this wayward one. Yes, it had been a special incident on our holiday and such a privilege to share it, and to have it accepted for the Upper room. But perhaps the greatest thrill for me was to write out another God incident in my life and email it to our UK Editor, and receive an immediate  reply saying how it had spoken into her life just when she had needed it.
Which reminds me of something God had told me many years ago, that it is not what we do but where he takes it to that matters.
So to you writers, or would be writers, I recommend The Upper Room, and to those who are in need of a gentle read first thing in the morning or before you tumble into bed I recommend it too.
BRF, 15 The chambers, Vineyard, Abingdon OX14 3FE
Biblereadingnotes.org.uk/subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment